Tuesday, October 9, 2012

HOW TO INJECT CLEXANE... AND HOW MUCH IT COSTS!

It has been a good 12 weeks for me and baby. :-) I have been injecting Clexane twice a day since I was hospitalized, so that would be a total of 4 weeks worth of shots so far. (Total needle encounters: 56)

Image from here.

I read about fellow preggies having bruises while on Clexane, as a result of the injections. So far, I have only two bruises from injecting the medicine the wrong way, but I have figured out a way on how to prevent bruising as much as possible. (Some tips, I lifted off gazillions of forums, and some, based on my own experience.) Hope all of you fellow Pinay Clexane users out there find these tips helpful!

1. Inject in fatty areas. The tummy (left and right) area, about 4-5 inches from your belly button, is the most ideal. I've read about some preggies injecting Clexane on their thighs but I haven't (and I don't think I will) tried it.

2. Swab with alcohol the area you will be injecting on. Hold a piece of the "flab" (hehe!) between your thumb and index finger. Make sure you keep this grip as you inject.

3. Press on the plunger, not on the injection.

4. DO NOT rub the area after administering injection.

5. You may also opt to soften your skin before injecting. I use cocoa body butter... I am not sure if it will work for everyone, but in my case it makes the tummy easier to pierce.

6. DO NOT expel the bubble from the syringe before injecting. The bubble is supposed to prevent bruising.

7. If you bleed (trickles of blood), it means you hit a capillary of some sort. You need not be alarmed. However, if you continue bleeding excessively, call your doctor immediately.

These are some tips I could think of for now. I can update this post later on ;-)

On another note...

A lot of my friends are curious on how much my injections cost as I have previously mentioned in my other post: they are NOT cheap.

The price depends on the dosage. I do not know how much the other doses cost, but for me who has been prescribed 0.6 mL shots, a shot of Clexane is 850 pesos. Two shots a day, that's 1,700 pesos per day.

The tricky part: I was advised to stay on Clexane until a month after I give birth. If, after my check up this week, they decide to maintain the dose (Lord, please let it be lower... or stopped totally!), that would mean 448 shots more to go. That would amount to 380,800 pesos. Quite manageable, compared to other sicknesses I have heard of, and of course, we will never let money stuff compromise our baby's safety.

I am still wondering up to now where to get the funds for my meds, I was actually worrying a lot last week but hey, GOD WILL PROVIDE. He will never give us anything we can't bear. Some would initially think the money could have been used somewhere instead of injections. But then again, our baby is our love and our priority and we will do anything to make sure baby comes out into this wonderful world safe and healthy.

I love you Dadi Munchkin and Baby Muffin! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thank you for sharing the information. I live in the Philippines and the doctors here wanted me to take Innohep. I had severe reaction to it and my American doctors told me to try Clexane. I am curious to know which hospital you went, since the physicians I am with insist Innohep is the only way to treat clots. I appreciate your response and if you know where is the best place to buy Clexane. I went to Mercury and it is costly. Would love to hear your story and how long you were on Clexane and what type of blood work they did on you to determine the dosage. Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete