Friday, October 5, 2012

THE GREAT PREGNANCY CHALLENGE: DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS (DVT)

A little over 7 weeks of having a bun in the oven, I was awakened one Friday night by an intense cramp on my left calf. I always had cramps even as a kid, so it was nothing new to me and I just massaged my leg a bit and went to sleep.

Come Saturday afternoon (I woke up late, as usual), I thought it strange to still have the pain on my left calf. Before, whenever I had cramps, my legs would hurt for only a few minutes, and the soreness from the strain would eventually subside. Maybe it was a case of a severe cramp, I thought, and went on to enjoy my weekend. That night, during our date, Munchkin noticed that I was limping. I told him I had a terrible cramp the night before, and that it would eventually disappear.

Sunday morning, I found it hard to get up. My calf really, really hurt that time and I called my mom to give me a good massage on the affected leg. I decided not to go out (thus, not drive) that day thinking that rest would make the whole thing be gone.

I was so wrong.

Monday, I was limping all over the office. I was able to finish my shift and still drive myself home. The pain was becoming unbearable. I couldn't take a good, strong painkiller since I am pregnant.

Tuesday, as I got off my bed, I cried as I stepped with my left foot and pain shot up my whole leg. It was one of the most intense pains I have ever experienced. I had myself rushed to the hospital --- EMERGENCY.

The attending doctor at Emergency initially thought I needed to be admitted to physical rehab, for he, too, thought it was a serious cramp. When the rehab GP came, he examined my leg and suspected DVT.

I was already aware of what DVT was. In fact, when the pain still wasn't disappearing that weekend, I "googled" cramp stuff and came up with articles on DVT. I had the symptoms and risk factors, but I couldn't believe the random lot would fall on me. 1 in 3,000 patients. 0.4% in every 1,000 pregnancies. Talk about probabilities. (Can this happen to me with Lotto bets, please?)

For your reference, DVT stands for Deep Vein Thrombosis, which is characterized by a blood clot in the leg, swelling of the affected leg, and pain (naturally!). Pregnancy is a hypercoagulative state, I read somewhere, blood thickening is a natural reaction of mothers not bleeding to death during delivery. Too bad for me, my blood got too thick causing clots. Take note, however, that the primary concern of my doctors was not the clot, but the complication: pulmonary embolism. The clot in my calf might break up and if fragments of the clot reached my lungs, pulmonary embolism would occur. Imagine how much smaller veins in our lungs are and a clot would lodge itself on them! I've read about cases where lungs fill with blood, shortness of breath, chest pains, and well, for some... sudden death.

Me at the ICU. Pa-cute. Haha! 1st time here, no 2nd time please!

That being said, I was immediately admitted into the ICU to manage the leg --- lessen movements and avoid the clot being dislodged. I could hear my little one in my womb asking, "Mom, what the heck is happening?!". I stayed for a good three days at ICU as they gave me Clexane shots to thin out my blood and prevent further clots. They then transferred me to a private room to continue my treatment for another week. Thank God Munchkin was there all the time to hold my hand every time they plunged a needle into my tummy (and of course... help me pee and take a bath, too! Hehe. I love you Munchkin!)

Clexane. I was prescribed twice a day injections, graduation 0.6 mL. And I have to tell you: they are not cheap!

Now, at 11 weeks, baby's doing great (saw baby at the ultrasound last Wednesday). Thank You Lord! I have to continue injecting myself with Clexane until approximately a month after I give birth (that's around 206 injections more to go!). As long as the baby is fine, we'll do whatever it takes.

I know God has a good reason for my sickness, and I know that He will get our family through this. Right now, I am thankful that me and the baby are safe. I thank God for my hubby who has always been supportive and really got me through dark hours specially during the onset of my DVT. I praise God for my Mom and sisters who are always praying for me and helping me and hubby with this challenge. I thank God for my friends who are always checking up on me, and who are giving me encouragement whenever I need it.

God is good all the time. He doesn't promise us zero storms, but He promised to stay by our side through every storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment